Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Cinnamon Crumble Cranberry Coffee Cake (dairy-free, egg free)

Since this turned out twice in a row, I figure I better get it written down before I forget what I did!  This recipe can be easily adapted -- leave out the berries or substitute a different type of fruit, or bake in muffin tins instead of as a coffee cake.  It was adapted for allergies from the Kitchen Companion recipe for Basic Muffins.  I originally made it without the topping, but felt it was fairly bland.  I have added lemon zest and left off the topping before and that also works, although I greatly prefer this version (as does anyone who has tried it).  It's also very fast to put together so I often use it when I'm pressed for time and need to bring a treat.

Cinnamon Crumble Cranberry Coffee Cake (serves 16)

2 c. flour
4 T sugar (if using a sweeter fruit, such as blueberries, sugar my be reduced by half)
1 T baking powder
pinch salt
1 c coconut milk (substitute almond or rice milk as needed)
1 flax gel (3 T warm water + 1 T ground flax. Mix and let set for a few minutes until it "gels")
3 T coconut oil
optional: 1 c cranberries, coarsely chopped (may substitute blueberries or chopped peaches or other fruit)

Preheat oven to 350.  In large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.  Add liquid ingredients and stir til just mixed -- batter should be lumpy.  Add cranberries or fruit and fold in gently until just combined.  Turn into greased 9x9 square pan (double recipe for a 9x13) or into greased muffin tins.  Top with:

Crunch topping:
1/3 c brown sugar
3 T coconut oil, melted
1/4 c flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 c coconut flakes (if oatmeal is tolerated, may be used instead of coconut)

Combine and sprinkle over top of coffee cake or muffins.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 min or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (for muffins bake for 20-25 min).








1 comment:

Search This Blog