Saturday, June 30, 2012

Allergy free Dark Chocolate Cake in a Cup

I've wanted to adapt this recipe for a while, but just never tried.  Last night I made Bryan brownies for his birthday and made the mistake of tasting them.  Which initiated a must.have.chocolate.now frenzy.  A couple recipes on google later I had some basic ratios and poof, in less than 5 minutes a rich, dark chocolately cup of dense chocolately goodness.  It was so rich I could only eat half a cup, so I threw a wrap on and let the rest sit overnight.  Even better.  I'd undercook it slightly next time, but all in all, a HUGE success.

Allergy free Dark Chocolate Cake in a Cup

In a microwave proof mug, measure 3 T warm water. Add 2 T ground flax seed. Let set 30 sec.  (Alternatively, if you can handle eggs, use 1 egg instead).
Add:
 3 T milk (I used coconut)
 1 tsp vanilla
 1 T melted coconut oil
 3 T flour (my next step is to try it gluten free for my boys...I see no reason why it won't work.)
 3 T cocoa powder
 4 T sugar
1 oz chopped dark chocolate or 3 T chocolate chips (optional)

Mix well.  Microwave 2 to 2 1/2 min..

I wish it was more difficult.  But seriously, this will give you a dairy free, egg free, soy free personal chocolate cake (I'd say it's closer to a brownie) in a matter of minutes.  You can thank me later.

Allergy Free, Gluten Free Chocolate Cake in a Cup

So, I've been slowly cutting wheat out of my diet, thinking that some of the residual swelling issues I still have are related (and they seem to be...).  We have 3 boys who are allergic to wheat, but seem to tolerate spelt (and of course, other gluten free flours such as sorghum, buckwheat, rice, etc).  The other night I was having a serious chocolate craving and there wasn't a drop to be found (like, seriously.  NO chocolate.).  Except unsweetened baking chocolate.  So, I decided to play around.  I tweaked it again tonight and honestly, I might like it better than the original and, it's even MORE guilt free.

In a microwave proof cup add:
3T milk (I used unsweetened almond)
1 square unsweetened baking chocolate

Microwave 30 sec-1 min or until chocolate begins to melt.  Let set, stir and return if needed until mixture is smooth and chocolate is completely melted. Add:

1 tsp vanilla
3 T sugar

Stir til smooth.  Add:

2 T gluten free flour mix (I used spelt since I had it on hand, and, as I said, I'm experimenting)
2 T almond flour/meal

Return to microwave for about 1.5 min depending on your microwave.  You want it to still a little gooey in the center -- it will set up more as it cools.  At 2 min mine was too dry for my taste.  Let set a couple minutes so you don't burn your tongue...logistical really.  If you have a tough tongue, you can have at it. Ha!  Add a scoop of vanilla coconut ice cream on top if desired.

1 comment:

Search This Blog