Monday, August 20, 2012

Preparations

As we have worked through what has seemed at times like an insurmountable stack of paperwork in the last few weeks, I find myself drawing more and more parallels between our physical and spiritual adoption.
I know the parallels have always been there.  As a child I loved this song that went something along the lines of:



I am adopted
I'm a special kid you see
there's room in His big kingdom
for a million kids like me
My Father owns the kingdom
He sits upon the throne
He gives me everything I need
I'm glad to just belong
I'm adopted
I'm chosen
I bear my Father's name
Just living a life of luxury
In the castle with the King

As a child it was a comforting thought.  I didn't really feel like I belonged.  I was ridiculed and bullied.  The thought that I was princess because my Father had adopted me was one that boosted my faith.  Now, looking at our pending physical adoption, the spiritual elements seem so much more tangible.  No wonder God commanded us to take care of the orphans.  We live out in our Christianity the very thing He has done for us.
I've spent a lot of time thinking about the "gotcha day" that is, hopefully, coming soon.  We've been preparing.  We will have everything ready to go. A place for her already carved out in our home and in our family's minds and hearts. Her brothers pray for her.  Her life will go, in the blink of an eye, from one where she was once unwanted and in poverty and alone, to one where her every need is met.  One where she is surrounded by comfort and love and wanted.  But she has no idea.  We have the benefit of 2 years of planning and months of preparation. One day she will be carried out the only life she knows and her life will never be the same.  The kicker is, she won't know.  In fact, she will fight it.  She has no idea and no way of knowing her life is about to be infinitely better -- she will be an heir in our home, with the same rights and privileges as the other children.   Once she enters her new life, she will have to adapt and change.  Her behaviors, her language, her attitudes will all be molded to our home.  Even after she adjusts, we can expect her to fall back into old patterns and old behaviors.  Are you following the thought process here?  God knew in advance and chose us.  He pursued us. He brought us out of spiritual depravity and the orphanage of the world and adopted us. We were carried out.  He made us heirs. He gave us the rights of sons.  But we fight it.  Even though what He has planned for our lives is infinitely better than anything we could provide for ourselves or the world can provide for us, we fight it.  We think we know best. Our old nature and habits get the better of us. It is a constant process of being molded to the image of Christ and what a member of His household should be.  Is there any wonder He says, "Now go and do for others what I have done for you."?  We are a living breathing, tangible example to the world around us of what Christ has done for us.  It makes no sense.  We have 4 children, a beautiful home, a comfortable life. There is no sane reason to pursue an adoption, particularly at this time of our lives.  Let alone one that upsets our lives and turns things upside down.  But aren't we told that the wisdom of God is foolishness to the world?

As we prepare to travel this week, please pray:
*For travel mercies
*For my sister and brother here with the kids
*For our court hearings on Th and Fr (it will be Wed and Th here in the States)
*Our time with Esther, that even though she is young God will use that time to bring familiarity with us so her transition will be less traumatic on her.

3 comments:

  1. Sending prayers! We love you guys and are so very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying that everything will go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you all. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog