Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hummus Wrap Recipe

So, I randomly created a recipe I'm a little obsessed with. My brothers had some bacon that needed to be used up the other day. I also had a little hummus floating around. Just for fun, I threw the two together in an almost homemade flour tortilla with some fresh tomatoes, avocado slices and spinach and finished it off with a little goat cheese. Yes, I know that sounds strange. But it has a unique taste that I loved! Today I was out of hummus (I used a dry mix last time in an effort to clear my cabinets. Not bad, but it had that "dried and reconstituted" flavor.) This is the fresh recipe I made instead:

Hummus
1 can low sodium garbanzo beans (save fluid)
the juice of 1 lemon
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp olive oil
pinch of salt
pinch of red pepper flakes

Just toss it into a food processor and blend until creamy. Add reserved fluid as needed to desired consistency.

Yep, it's that easy. Now, traditionally hummus has tahini in it. I'm not a huge fan, and, on top of it, it's hard to come by here in this tiny town, so I just skip it.
Oh, a side note, if I haven't mentioned it before, the tortillas I use are La Flor. Here you can buy them at the grocery store (only one, Smiths, carries them). They are uncooked, usually near the deli meats in the refrigerated section. For us, we love them because they a) taste like homemade without the hassle and b) only have like 4 ingredients so they are very allergy friendly. We're totally hooked on them now!
Here's the "actual" recipe I created:

Bacon Hummus Wrap

1 flour tortilla, pan warmed
2 strips bacon, cooked (I put mine between 2 sheets of paper towel and microwave for about 1:30. The paper towel soaks up the fat and the strips are perfectly flat for sandwiches!)
3 tomato slices
3 avocado slices
Handful fresh spinach
About 1/4 c hummus (more or less to taste)
Sprinkle goat cheese

Toss it all in the tortilla and enjoy! And speaking of hummus, I should share the garbanzo bean Greek salad recipe sometime...

But, the boys are upstairs taking an un-nap right now. In other words I sent them up for nap time and they went. But now, from the wild giggling I'm hearing, I think it turned into a dog pile. As a side note, why does everything boys do turn into a dog pile? I mean seriously. I just don't think girls are walking along, see another girl on the ground and feel the instinctual need to jump on her. Boys however, do feel this need. I have witnessed this. A lot. The 3 boys are dog piled on the floor and the baby just walks over and throws himself on the top of the heap. Why? Why is this fun to the male species? I have the strangest urge to try it for myself...maybe us girls are missing something...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog