Friday, August 20, 2010

Baked Beans Recipe

Since we're going into prime BBQ season (I know that should be summer, but for some reason it usually falls in the fall (get it? FALLS in the FALL? I know, pathetic attempt at humor.) for us. So, one of the first recipes I set out to recreate after we discovered all our allergies was baked beans. I've always been really, really picky about baked beans. I like them sweet, sometimes a little spicy. Coincidentally, EVERY mainstream brand contains corn or soy or both. On top of that, 2 of our boys are allergic to tomatoes, so that effectively cuts our choices down, to well, none.
My favorite brand growing up was Bush's Baked beans, so I used that general flavor as the mark to shoot for. After wading through hundreds of baked bean recipes online, I took several that looked close, combined them and voila! One baked bean recipe that everyone can eat and no one complains about. We have a standard put beans on low in the morning in the crock pot and let them go all day, then spend the next week eating them habit going on now. Beans are amazingly good for you. And, did I mention, cheap? Usually we use a combination of several types, and usually don't hit the same combo twice. The most common is probably pinto and great white northerns. Sometimes kidneys make it in there too. There's not really a rhyme or reason why. Pintos because you can buy them in ginormous bags at Sams Club and great white northerns because a lot of baked bean recipes have them and once we tried them, we loved them. Now, I usually double this so we can have leftovers. I've found I can cheat and make them up fast if needed, but the flavors are best if they have time to slow cook, so if at all possible go for the crock pot method. We also have played with adding a little spice and changing them around a little, so I'll add those variations as well.

Jessica's Baked Beans
1 1/2 pounds of dried beans, soaked/cooked until tender
1/2 lb bacon
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 c brown sugar, loosely packed
1/3 c molasses
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
salt and black pepper to taste

to reach desired consistency:
gluten free flour (rice flour, tapioca flour (I like that the best), etc.)
up to 2 c water

Fast method: I use my kitchen shears to cut the bacon into small pieces. Fry in the bottom of a large pot with the finely chopped onions (why bother dirtying more than you need to?). Add remaining ingredients and cook until heated and bubbling. Add water and flour as needed to reach desired consistency of sauce.
Slow cook method (this brings out the flavors better than the fast method): Fry onions and bacon and add to soaked beans in crock pot. Add remaining ingredients. Usually I add about a cup water. Cook 6-8 hours, adding water and flour at the end to reach desired consistency.
Note: Since every gluten free flour requires a different amount, I just add it slowly by the tablespoon and let it cook for a few minutes before adding more. If gluten isn't an issue, I'm sure regular flour could be used as well. The consistency is completely arbitrary. The kids and I like them thick, so we can use potato chips to scoop them up. Bryan prefers his thinner and I usually could get away with not adding any thickening agent. And watch reheating them -- they invariably soak up moisture and almost always need extra water added upon reheating.

Variations:
A little kick: Add a can or two of chopped green chilies, depending on your family's taste.
A different sweet: Sub out 1/4 c of the brown sugar for an 1/8 c maple syrup or honey.
A different kick: I find the pepper crusted bacon is a great way to spice them up. The kids don't like them as much, but Bryan and I do!
A little more bacon: I originally started with a ratio of 1 lb bacon per 1 1/2 lbs beans. I found you can cut the bacon (and hence, the fat) in half pretty easily. BUT, if you want a stronger bacon flavor, up to a pound, or down to a 1/4 lb works well.
Sausage: In a pinch I used some breakfast sausage instead of bacon -- just like 4 links. A little different flavor, but everyone liked it.

We eat these weekly -- with brats, burgers, BBQ sandwiches, you name it. Bryan's also invented a green chili and lemon bean recipe that we quite like. I'll have to have him actually show me what he puts in it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog