Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Keep it simple...


One of the things you learn immediately when you deal with food allergies is the concept of clean eating. The fewer the ingredients, the higher the possibility it's allergy free. Processed foods are instantly off the radar. Take today's lunch for example, a fillet of Tilapia, pan seared in olive oil with lemon pepper. Yum! And brussel sprouts...I have no idea how the childhood jokes came about. Properly prepared, brussel sprouts are amazing! One of my favorite ways is to heat a pan with a little olive oil. Cut the sprouts in half so they'll cook faster. Add them to the hot oil and toss to sear them slightly. In your pan lid add just a little water -- literally just a tablespoon or so. Add to the pan and cover immediately. Let them quick steam for just a few minutes. When tender remove from heat and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper, or garlic salt. so good! Now, does this look like the plate of someone who's deprived? I added a bowl of cherries (my mother in law just gave me a cherry pitter. Why have I not bought one sooner? We are eating cherries like they're going out of style!) and a glass of iced coffee.
I workout about an hour after lunch and coffee helps my asthma! And it's just terrible to add a cup of deliciousness to lunch! I add a little almond milk and a couple squirts of some irish cream agave nectar. Coffee as a helpful partner in fighting exercise induced asthma is getting increasing attention. Even if you don't struggle with asthma, having coffee before a workout (now, we're not talking a caramel macchiato or the like...just regular, preferably black or close to it) can help you get more out of your workout! Studies are currently looking at how it affects asthma and the ability to help you workout longer and harder. I say, bring it on! The last study that made me this happy was the one that said dark chocolate really is a health food...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog